Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Fresh Face on Fifth

"So the way I see it...a solitaire diamond, might make people look at you, but this makes you look at it. I use the diamonds, to accentuate my art."

A dear friend of mine, and native New Yorker Reuven Kassai, just recently unveiled his collection of sterling silver and colored diamonds on 5th Avenue’s Luxury (boutique) department store, Henri Bendel on August 4th, 5th, & 6th, 2010.


This New Yorker’s got talent! With a genealogy of antique and fine silver dealers, Reuven veered off the beaten path to explore precious metals and colored diamonds. With coverage in Woman’s Wear Daily, practically the bible to anyone and everyone in the Fashion Biz, and a successful trunk show at Bendel’s, it is no wonder this rookie has already hit the ground running.


A few words from the designer...

Kickn it NYC: "R U VAIN...How did you come up with the name? Does it represent your work?”


Reuvein Kassai: “R U VAIN, was an idea that I got, while reading a letter addressed to RUVAIN Kassai. It’s really just a play on letters in my name, so it works. But since Diamonds, and jewelry is synonymous with Vanity, (sorta), it kind of all works. I don’t use ‘proper jewelry techniques and rules to get the look and feel that I want. The jewelry I create is edgy and doesn't play by the rules, like me, I guess.”

KNYC:“So this is your first official 5th Ave. gig, how did you manage to get R U VAIN into such a high end retail establishment and how does that make you feel?”

RK: “Getting past the first round of the Henri Bendel "Open see" or audition as I call it, was the first time that I actually felt that I had something. After seeing the countless people walk out of the store, with gloomy faces, and I walked out with a smile from ear to ear, I kind of felt that regardless of what happens, I’ve done a good job.

As an artist, I am very insecure about my designs at times. I started two years ago, and didn’t know what I was up against. So when something like Henri Bendel comes along, it really changed the way I view my work. Exhibiting and selling my work at Bendel’s?? Absolutely priceless!”

KNYC: “Tell me about your collection and this season’s inspiration.”

RK: “RU VAIN collection is a fusion of the two jobs that I have had in my life.

For 20 yrs I worked in the family business dealing with fine silver, and for five years I branched off on my own, working with colored diamonds. I basically took everything I know about the two and created my collection.

The hammered look, is something that I have always loved from the time that I came to appreciate the aesthetics in precious metals and silver, plus, it’s timeless. The first silver vessels were hammered, and that style has continues thru today.

The use of diamonds, is twofold.

A) Women love diamonds.

B) It’s a way for them to wear and appreciate all the different variables within the diamond.(the 4 C's).

All the pieces are studded with different color, shape, size and even clarity, so that when wearing the piece the person, gets to see the beauty of all the different elements of the diamond. The brilliance, the cuts, the colors etc.

So the way I see it, a solitaire diamond, might make people look at you, but this makes you look at it. I use the diamonds, to accentuate my art."

KNYC: “What were your top sellers?”


RK: "The top sellers so far have been the small letter pendants, and the thin bangles.


Hammered Bangles with Diamonds

The thin bangles have sold because they are thin, and as much as I love the bigger ones, the customer, likes smaller thinner lighter pieces. But my stomach says, when people realize that it is ok to be VAIN, they will start wearing the larger ones, and embrace their identity."

KNYC: “When exhibiting with your competition, what did you learn about your collection and what do you think makes you different than the rest?”

RK: "I learned from dealing with my competition, that as much as people say that they are by hand, (they really aren't).

There is a lot of machine work that finishes the pieces I’ve seen. I didn't realize it until I walked around, and saw the others, that I was able to fully comprehend that.

I think one major thing that distinguishes me from the other talant, is that my jewelry is really a full circle of life. The collection is eco friendly, in the respect that I use all recycled antique sterling silver to make the pieces.


Hammered rings with colored diamonds

I partnered up with a jewelry manufacturer in Long Island City (NY), that actually takes my antique silver, refines it, and makes it into metal ready for my pieces, so I really am continuing the cycle of the silver’s life. It is also all designed, crafted, and manufactured in NY."

KNYC:“What now? Where is r u vain going from here?”

RK: "My main goal is to hit the four big US fashion markets NYC, MIAMI, LA, and Las Vegas. This is all a learning process to me and I am grateful. I am starting small, but have my pieces in Spain, and in September I will have them in Amsterdam as well. So we shall hit the world!"

Please join Reuven once again at Henri Bendel on September 14th, 15th, & 16th.

No comments:

Post a Comment